The “iPhone Dev Team” has released PwnageTool 2.0, a utility for Mac OS X capable of jailbreaking (allowing full read/write filesystem access and the installation of unofficial third party applications) the iPhone 3G. The tool can also unlock first-generation iPhones that have been updated to iPhone OS 2.0.
The tool is available from the following links:
In order to use PwnageTool 2.0, use the following precautions:
- Launch the Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities and type mkdir “~/Library/iTunes/Device Support”
- Delete all iPhone software updates from ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
- Launch Activity Monitor (located in /Applications/Utilities) and quit the process “iTunes Helper”
When using the tool, which is relatively straightforward, take note of the following
- Use the 1,1 image for first-generation iPhones running OS 2.0.
- Make sure the iPhone is “off” when building the ipsw (as instructed inside the application)