The release of yellown0w, scheduled for New Year’s Eve, was postponed a day due to a small problem and finally, it has been released into the wild.
Yellowsn0w is the first working iPhone 3G unlock program that doesn’t need any tampering with your SIM card. In fact, you won’t notice any difference in your iPhone’s operation, except of course that your 3rd-party SIM now works after installing.Yellowsn0w can be installed using both Windows and Mac systems, and easily uninstalled using Cydia, iTunes or the good old Command Line
According to the DevTeam, v0.9.6 of Yellowsn0w should “should fix EVEN MORE problems,” although they did not go into specifics of this release. So if the previous versions of this unlock hack did not work for you, try this one out…. or wait for the final v1.0 to come out, which probably should not take too long to arrive judging by how fast new versions are coming out.
As before, Yellowsn0w is available via Installer.app/Cydia at the following repositories: http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com (Cydia) or http://i.yellowsn0w.com (Installer.app).
And, of course, prior to being able to use it, you will need to
Installation instructions and additional notes are below…
To use it:
1. Install BossPrefs and Yellowsn0w from Cydia/Installer
2. Disable everything in BossPrefs
3. Reboot your iPhone using BossPrefs
4. Wait for the iPhone to boot up
5. Take out your SIM card and reinsert it back in
6. Wait a moment or two
7. In settings turn on Airplane mode
8. Turn off Airplane mode
9. All done!
- As of v 0.9.4 there’s no longer a one-minute delay step. If you don’t see your carrier when your homescreen comes up, you may still need a SIM reinsert (for now).
- If you are in the U.S. and are trying this with T-Mobile, you must turn off the 3G switch in Settings.
- No PIN support yet
- The unlock will silently quit on anything other than baseband 02.28.00. It detects the wrong version and just quits to avoid any damage. Please double check your Modem Firmware setting in Settings->General->About.